Tuesday 27 January 2015

Book: The Bronze Horseman

I don't think I've ever not read all three books of a trilogy series. (Double negative confusion? Me too actually…) Let me rephrase, I always read all available books of a story. Usually, by the third one I am dying to know what happens because the second leaves the characters in shambles and I can't wait to see how the destined-to-fail pieces will miraculously be put together. I'm the type of reader who rarely picks up a book and doesn't put it down until the last page. (What is with me and double negatives tonight? What does it mean?! Was that even a double negative?! I think it was just awkward...) What I mean is that I don't give up on books. I only put it down after the last page. Not halfway through and definitely not a chapter in. I have to finish what I start. Simple as that. So, when I finished the second book of the Bronze Horseman series by Paullina Simons, knowing full well there is a third book waiting, I was confused. I'll try and not spoil the story for you because it's a great read, but when a second book ends with a happily ever after, who needs a third book? What were you thinking Paullina? Was it in the book deal contract? Because, you didn't need a third one and to be honest, I'm not going to read it. Ever. And that is quite a call coming from a thorough reader like myself. You tied all the knots! Did you want to do a double knot? Earth to author, these aren't your sneakers. Your hero succeeded in their ultimate conquest! The love story unfolded with everything finally falling into place! What more could a reader want? Nothing actually.

Nonetheless, I recommend reading the story. Definitely book one and two. I can't advise on the third. Actually, I wouldn't advise. Trust me, you'll see.

If you want to read a romantic, historical fiction novel about two tragic lovers stuck in the Soviet Union as the Germans attack in 1941, I highly recommend The Bronze Horseman and The Bridge to Holy Cross. Yes, you have to get through the sometimes endless pages of pointless dialogue between the two main characters and the repetitive nature of the writing in the second book, but who wouldn't feel intensely for two young lovers having their rights unraveled before them? It's a page turner most of the time.

Want to read an actual review?

http://paullinasimons.com/books/the-bronze-horseman/

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment