Tuesday 7 April 2015

Those suspicious plastic containers

I have a couple aversions that go hand in hand with the kitchen. Along with my distrust of microwaves, I don't like plastic containers. You know, takeaway containers or things you store your leftovers in? If it's flexy, see-through and isn't glass, I'm suspicious. I can just imagine it leaching the weirdness of what it's made of into my food!

I remember a study from a physiology class I took in college about fish living in a lake that was filled with run-off from a nearby plastic plant. (It was a while ago but the story went something like that…) What scientists found over time were a whole lot of confused fish. How were they confused? Males became females, androgyny became popular, females changed too.

#wtf that is so not cool. Sometimes I feel like I am being silly and paranoid but then I just think of that story and #omg we are conducting a similar experiment on ourselves! Think of all the stuff we eat and drink out of that is housed in plastic?! It's insane!

And then I watched the episode of Catalyst (yes, I love that show) called Our Chemical Lives (below) and that just sealed the paranoid deal for me. We are one big experiment.

But then again, this is only one experiment out of many we are running on the human race…ourselves. Bring on the weirdness! So not cool.

Put away the plastic. Put away the chemicals. If we don't know what it does, don't put that shit in my products.

No comments:

Post a Comment