Tuesday 14 April 2015

A love poem a day keeps the divorce lawyer away.

Not that I have any lawyers at bay or anything. Far from the truth. But, honestly, if an apple a day can keep the doctor away, I'm fully inclined to think that a love poem can do that to the divorce lawyer. Heck, why not create an excuse to dig up a handful of good poetry? I love a good love poem.

My favourite modern poet? Pablo Neruda. Hands down. Even though I am stuck reading his translated work, his poems still sound amazing. How does he do it?

So, even though I could so easily list out a handful of my favourites, I will only give you one. Only a leaf of the tree of our love…To S love A.

Enjoy it, savour it and wrap yourself in it.

And, if you're lucky, you might get another one tomorrow. Depends on the lawyer's location. I'll have to think about it. xoxo

Sonnet XVII

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way than this: 

where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment