Tuesday 24 March 2015

Atwood does it again.

When it comes to books, I like variety. I don't like to read the same thing twice. I like mixing up the genres - fantasy to historical fiction to sci-fi and throw in a couple non-fiction here and there. But, there are a few authors who I love and I love everything they write. I could read their works back to back, no problem. One of which is Tom Robbins. Unfortunately, he only wrote a handful of novels (of which wikipedia describes as "comedy-drama…wildly poetic stories." Agreed, they're bizarre.) Another is Margaret Atwood. Her works are a little larger of a handful thankfully and I am still working through them, but they include a couple of my favourite books of all time. Some would refer to my most favourite of her books as sci-fi but I prefer the term she has given, which is speculative fiction. She's a witty lady and I like it.

I came across Atwood's book, The Penelopiad, recently and gave it a go as I do with all her books. I had never heard of it and it requires an introduction (literally, as you shouldn't skip that first couple pages before the story starts) as it is completely off the wall. I admire her imagination. Way to go girl, taking Greek legend and letting your kookiness loose on it.

But, what really struck me and the reason that has inspired me to mention it here is not the actual book or story or the amazing ending. Yeah, you could read it but don't wait for me to give it a raving recommendation. It's not going to come. It doesn't have an epic storyline or ending. It doesn't finish with a bang or even include a bang in-between its covers. It isn't memorable. What is memorable though are the small take aways; the thought provoking tidbits that Atwood does so well. Those are what always stick with me. She is so good at articulating crazy ideas.

Here is one. It got me on the very first page of the very first chapter. (Penelope is in the underworld…)

Down here everyone arrives with a sack, like the sacks used to keep the winds in, but each of these sacks is full of words - words you've spoken, words you've heard, words that have been said about you.

What if you arrive in an after life with just that - a bag of words? It isn't important what you are, soul or body, or even your actions and regrets. How much you prayed or spiritualized or the time you invested in atoning doesn't amount to anything.

What have you said. What has been said about you. What are mouths morphing into descriptions of you. What words construct you. What words define you. What words do you live by. What words guide you.

What words will you carry with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment