Thursday 19 February 2015

Conversation is apparently 6ft under

I came across The Death of Conversation today. Wait, no, that's not totally correct. I came across a number of articles about it today. That's not to say that I haven't experienced it and witnessed it and even taken part in it numerous times over the years. But, what the Death articles are actually about are a series of pictures taken by Babycakes Romero (whhhat? I know, not sure about the name but it's beside the point so let's not dwell on it. Besides that, he's done well...) that highlight our phone obsession and our lack of face to face conversation because of it.
Is this what we really look like?! OMG it is and that is making me uncomfortable. Honestly though, what I'm really struggling with is that the photos are so relatable. That could be me in the cafe...
Me in the gallery...
Me on the bus…
Ok, yeah..no, I'm not a delivery man, but you get the point.

I think most everyone can see themselves in the pictures. I don't know how that makes you feel but it doesn't make me feel proud. I kind of feel embarrassed. Why are we doing this to ourselves and each other? Why are we rejecting what is right in front of us...who is right in front of us…reality that is right in front of us?!

Which leads me to something I think about sometimes…Why is silence so awkward? It's weird that we feel as though we have to talk and talk until we don't have anything left to say and at that point we need to check out of "face-to-face reality" and join "phone reality." When did silence become awkward? When in conversation, I really appreciate someone who doesn't feel like it's a necessity to fill the silence when we stop talking for a few seconds or even a minute or two. I like a good ponder without the assistance of a device. I think it takes confidence to be able to do this. Plus, I think people have forgotten or ignore the fact that we can communicate in more ways than just conversation. 

Can I extend a challenge to you (and myself?) The next time there is a conversation gap, don't look at your phone. I know, it might feel hard or weird at first but just don't do it and see what happens. How does it make you feel after you get past the awkward? 

There is nothing wrong with silence. It's not awkward.  

Want to see more of the pictures? Here is an article that features them - 


No comments:

Post a Comment